I love how skinny I am in this picture, even if my arms do come out of my ears.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dance


My little one, who is not so little anymore, is a dancer. Her nickname is “Skippy,” because she is not capable of just walking from point A to point B, she has to dance or skip wherever she goes. I hear her banging above my head as I write this. Most mornings I have to yell over the music in her room to get her ready for school.

I was never a dancer, so until a few years ago this whole dance thing was foreign to me. The first year my oldest daughter danced, I took her to a studio one of her little friends went to and found that the moms were a little nuts about the whole dance thing. They were three, for goodness sakes, and some moms put a little too much pressure on them to be perfect. I didn’t think my daughter was going to grow up to be a prima ballerina, so the next year I found a place where the people were a little more realistic about the whole experience.

My older daughter ultimately chose soccer over dance, but I can’t see Skippy doing that any time soon. She loves the excitement of performing, and would be happy if she could go to dance class every day. She’s hoping to add classes next year if they’ll let her.

This is recital weekend, and today is the last performance. Skippy wishes the show could go on, but I’ll be happy when it’s over. I love watching them show off all of their hard work, but after all the back and forth, costume changes, make-up, etc., I’m ready for a break.

Break a leg, Skippy. We’re proud of you!

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is in dance as well and I'm with you. I'll be glad when its over. Her performance is this Saturday. Its always breathtaking to see the actual show and feel the pride of knowing that's your baby on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dancing since the age of five. I just wrapped up a modern dance class at FIM. And let me say that dancing is soul-tastic. When I speak or write of dancing I think of this quote.

    "Dancer's are the athletes of God". ~ Einstein

    If they keep with it, you will witness it even more ;)

    ReplyDelete