I love how skinny I am in this picture, even if my arms do come out of my ears.

Monday, May 31, 2010

One Big Happy...

All parents have a variation of, "As long as you're living under my roof, you will follow my rules." Of course, this is another phrase I told myself I would never utter to my own kids that I now say on a pretty regular basis. But the time it came in really handy was when my parents moved into my house last summer.

My mom and step-dad both retired a few years ago. Retirement came easy for my mom, but for dad...not so much. He ended up taking a job at The University of Arizona and they moved to Tucson. That lasted only a few years before they realized that Arizona is not an easy trip from Michigan, and they couldn't see their families as much as they liked. They wanted a warm climate that was closer to family, and they needed a place to stay temporarily while they looked around and decided where to settle.

We didn't know how long "temporarily" would be, but we offered up our basement to them anyway. We called it The Semi-Private Deluxe Poolside Suite. They offered to pay us rent, which we normally would have turned down. But my husband works in the auto industry, and at the time his company, a small supplier, had many ups and downs. We gladly took the extra income to save for a rainy day. It was a win-win.

It was an interesting summer. Not many people have the opportunity to live like this while their parents are still young and able to care for themselves. The kids loved having gramma and grampa available any time. Many mornings they would head straight downstairs for toast and conversation. We loved having live-in babysitters.

We tried to respect each others' privacy as much as possible, but since our main floor is open to the basement, it was hard to really achieve. They ended putting a big privacy screen at the bottom of the stairs—when it was up that meant they were “closed”. Sometimes I’d catch the kids sitting on the top step just waiting for them to be “open”.

I bet my brothers that my parents would make it a month here, but they actually lasted about three months before they finally got sick of us. I doubt it’s very quiet having the five of us banging around above their heads. And every time my mom got on my nerves or spoiled the kids or had some crazy new decorating idea, I got to say, “My house, my rules.” That just never gets old!

They ended up buying a house and moving just across town, and plan to spend winters someplace warm. My husband’s company did end up closing, so we had six weeks of uncertainty—but that is a story itself. Ultimately, I think we all came to know and appreciate each other a little more. But the best part is that when my parents actually are older and may need extra care, I’ll give one of my brothers the opportunity.

I’ve had my turn.

3 comments:

  1. How funny. We spent a summer living in my parents basement while we built our house...longest three months of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the privacy screen for open and closed. What a great idea. I can just picture the kids waiting for it to be "open."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I could totally picture the kids waiting for the privacy screen to "open" too!

    I'm not a parent yet, but as a teacher I've already said phrases to my students I swore I would never say...funny how perspectives change.

    ReplyDelete